Sunday, October 7, 2012

Greetings from Roger Bacon!

Hello there! My name is Roger Bacon, a name you may recognize from the high school named after me. I was an English philosopher and Franciscan friar, notable for being among the earliest European advocates for the modern scientific method. I was born sometime around 1213-1214 CE in Somerset, England and studied at Oxford University. Afterward I began lecturing at universities in Paris, which was then the center of intellectual life in Europe. Around 1256 I became a friar in the Franciscan Order of the Roman Catholic church. Because of this, I could no longer hold a teaching position, but I managed to work around this restriction through my acquaintance with Pope Clement IV. He issued an order for me to write about the place of philosophy within religion. I sent him Opus Majus, my most famed work, which presented my views on how sciences could be incorporated into theology. Sometime after the pope died in 1268 I was imprisoned for heresy, and upon my release I continued my studies until my eventual death around 1294. I look forward to providing you with more information in the near future!

1 comment: